Sesame is effective for revitalizing and anti-aging.
Ingredientsfor 4 servings
- Thin fried tofu1 sheet
- Mushrooms300g such as shiitake, shimeji, enoki etc.
Green leaf vegetable such as shungiku and spinach
Kombu Dashi1 litter
Shoyu 3 tablespoons
Mugi miso 3 tablespoons
Shiro miso2-3 tablespoons
White sesame paste (Tahini)4 tablespoons
- To make Kombu dashi, put 10 cm x 10 cm Kombu in 1 litter of water and leave it in fridge over night. Adding 2 – 3 pieces of dried shitake will enhance the flavor and umami of the stock. Mix all ingredients of dashi stock well.
- Drain tofu. Remove the oil of thin fried tofu by boiling and drain. Cut mushroom, cabbage, carrots, and green leaves.
- In Donabe (or earthen pot), braise or Mushini mushroom and vegetables lightly with lid.
- When the steam comes out and vegetables become slightly soft, add the stock, tofu, thin fried tofu and cook further. Add bean sprout at the end. Serve in soup topped with ground sesame and chili paste if preferred.
- When finish eating vegetables, add pre-boiled udon noodle to the remaining soup or add cooked rice to make Japanese risotto which is the very typical way of enjoying Nabe to relish the wonderful soup from the various ingredients.
Other ingredients recommended for Nabe: Harusame, Zenryu-fu (soaked and squeezed), Genmai Mochi, Ponzu (for dipping sauce)
Recipe by Seishoku Macrobiotic Association.